A Brief Background
More detail on Hitchin Band's history and it's future can be found here
More detail on the History of Brass Bands can be found here
Why do we need a brass band in Hitchin in the 21st Century?
- Hitchin Band was formed way back in the 1860's. This makes it one of the oldest brass bands in the world still
performing, giving Hitchin an almost unique piece of 'Living Heritage', something to be very proud of.
- Since its foundation the band has formed a cornerstone of music in the Hitchin area. We are trying to reconstruct the heritage of
the band to find out more about the history of music in Hitchin.
- The band has fostered young musicians still learning to play, offering them the opportunity to play alongside our more
experienced members, some of whom have been with the band for over 40 years.
- Hitchin Band is very proud of its strong links with charitable organisations including the Royal British Legion, The Round
Table and St Mary's Parish Church Hitchin. In particular, our Christmas concerts are always very well supported.
- Away from Hitchin, the band has carried the name of the town far and wide. We have represented the people of Hitchin at Regional and
National competitions, at venues including Wembley and the Royal Albert Hall. The band has also featured on national television and
- We have travelled abroad, taking our music with us and forging new friendships in Europe and we have offered hospitality to bands
so that they can travel to the UK and visit Hitchin.
- Even players that have moved away from the area still return on occasions to play with the band, such are the friendships that are
- The Hitchin Band has been playing for almost 150 years. All of the band's members, committee and supporters are dedicated to see
that the band moves forward into the 21st century and beyond.
All this from a group of 'amateurs' who, with support from family and friends who willingly give up there time and resources to perpetuate the sound
of the traditional brass band in Great Britain.